By default, email replies are sent to the email address that was used to send the email, but you may configure your email client so that you can send messages from one address and get replies from another using a setting. Follow these steps to do so on Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and Outlook for Microsoft 365, among other programs.
- How to Make a Change to the Return-To Address
- How to Change the Reply-to Address for a Single Email Message
How to Make a Change to the Return-To Address
If you want responses to emails you send from an Outlook email account to go to a different address than the one you used to send them, use the following format:
- Go to the File menu and select the File tab.
- In the left-hand window, click on Information.
- Select Account Settings from the drop-down menu, and then select Account Settings from the list. The Account Settings window will appear on the screen.
- In the primary window of the Email tab, select the account that will use a different reply-to address from the one that is now in use.
- Click on the Change button.
- Type the email address that will be used to receive replies to your sent email in the Reply-to address text box.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Close/Done button.
How to Change the Reply-to Address for a Single Email Message
In addition, you have the option of specifying a new email address for replies in every email message you send out.
- Begin by launching Outlook and creating a new email message.
- In the message window, select the Options tab from the drop-down menu.
- In the More Options group, select Direct Replies To from the drop-down menu. The Properties window will be displayed.
- Select the Have Replies Sent to checkbox and input the email address for the reply-to recipient in the adjacent text field.
- Click on the Close button. The modifications will be applied to the currently displayed message.
This changes the default reply address for every email sent from the chosen account to the address you specify. If you only need a different reply address from time to time, you can change the reply-to address for each each email you send by editing the message body.